Corel Road Show 2000

I attended the Corel Road Show 2000 at the Tampa Hilton Westshore last
night and came away fairly impressed with what Corel has done with the
KDE desktop. They really have come up with a distro that most anybody
can install and use.

The installer has is only four screens for the standard default
install. All the hardware on the system is detected and the proper
drivers are installed. The user is not asked for any infomation
reguarding the system configuration. Networking, PPP and any other
needed configuration is done using the "control panel" utilizing some
addtional modules (wizards) written by Corel for the distro.

This is okay if you initially want to be limited to what Corel provides
you in the standard download addtion. No Gnome, other window managers,
etc..., although the package manager handles Debian packages as well as
RPMS.

What was REALLY impressive was the Corel Office 2000 Suite. These apps
ARE suite! I was very impressed with preformance of these applications
running on Linux. Word Perfect 9 is more impressive than any of the MS
tools I have seen to date. After clicking on any paragraph in an open
document, hovering the mouse over the dropdown font menu listing
changes the font on the page in "real time" as you navigate the
listing! Really neat stuff!

They gave everyone that attended a copy of the download version of the
distro.

Anyone migrating from Windows to Linux would be at home with this one.
And that is exactly what they were shooting for!

--
R.G. Mayhue