Re: distro or add-on?

Karl a écrit :

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, -cEnsE- wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:35:21 GMT
> > From: -cEnsE- <cense@mail.ru>
> > To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
> > Subject: distro or add-on?
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Dinos Kouroushaklis wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Yes, we could have an Indy CD by it self as well as Indy as an add
> > > on to RH but that will probably complicate things and slow us down
> > > as it has in the past or even worse which we do not want to have
> > > happening again.
> >
> > I agree with usability being more important than putting out another
> > distro.
>
> If you are going to produce CDs it will cost money. From where does Indy
> plan to get the investment for materials?
>
> If you only distribute it via FTP and CVS repositories, the "end
> users" will not have the ease-of-use you speak of intrinsic to Indy.

CD is not a problem: it is not that difficult to be published by the
analogs of CheapBytes the problem is that Indy target needs paper doc
and buys software who comes in nice boxes sold it at mainstream
retail stores.  For this I still don't have a  clear solution exceptr that this
trying to improve Indy and get users hoping iyt reaches critical mass:
this kind of problems tend to be far easier to solve when you reach it.

                                                JFM