Re: About satandrads and politics

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Bud Beckman wrote:

> Anyone who is familiar with Linux would know that the editor vi is
> available and can get it.

This  sounds a lot like MS's arguments about IE/NS.

> A newbie would wonder, a bit like me, what all
> the fuss is about.

The fuss is about interoperability and standards compliance. Have you
noticed how Microsofts products do not easily interoperate with other
products ? Well this is the kind of thing that happens when people forget
the importance of standards.

Linux is by and large a POSIX compliant operating system, and that has
been one of the major goals/features for a long time. Calling a non POSIX
compiant OS "Linux" and selling it to the mass market is grossly
misleading/unethical.

[ irrelevant analogy snipped ]

> Sure, if I want. Linux and silver are malleable
> to ones own desires.

Do what you want with it in the privacy of your bedroom, but be aware that
it is somewhat irresponsible to ship a nonstandard version of linux to the
market.

--
Donovan