Re: VI, standards, politics and all that

From: Andrew

>Personally I feel that the key to writing a system usable by
non-technical
>users lies in explaining things properly and not assuming anything.
>
>Don't assume that the user has time to read all the documentation.

Or assume the doc is written well enough for a newbie to undestand.

>Don't assume that the user knows what X is.

Or how to install it.

>Don't assume they use `vi'.

They should be cautioned to read a doc on vi beforehand.

>Don't assume they can easily pop off to a web page to look something up.

An easily configurable ppp would do wonders. Problem is not all ISPs are
the same. I don't know how to get around this.

>Explain the minimum necessary in the shortest space, without dumbing
down or
>oversimplifying. Writing like this can be tricky, but when it's done
>properly it works very well.

A step by step instruction kit.

Bud