Re: About satandrads and politics

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Bud Beckman wrote:

> I have not either, (diald) I am looking at the doc to fortify myself and
> hoping I can interpret well enough to get it going. I understand that
> wvdiald is an active project and diald is not.

I havn't heard of wvdiald. Is it just another version of diald?

> No ppp connection working at this time, one of these days I will be an
> expert at making mistakes instead of just stumbling into them. If I keep
> at the ppp man page . . .

I read a good ppp config help file, I'll see if I've got the URL. Yep
found it. (found quite a few in my library, actually) Try:
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/gs/node8.html (networking with TCP/IP)
http://home.altoplanos.net/~rranders/diald.html (Diald config help)
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html (cool ppp config guide.)

Try the last link first, as it's the one I had success with. Also try the
ISP-hookup-HOW-TO. (Sorry, no url, try the LDP, though.)

> Atachment came through fine, I wonder if any one has taken on the project
> of making tar simple, such as winzip has done for Windoze. Run across
> anything like that?

You mean a GUI frount end for it? IMNSFHO, the command line interface is
simple enough. The file I sent you was the first thing I tar'ed. I might
work on a shell script interface (called feather ;) for tar, if lots of
people have problems using it, but I think that it is as easy to use as
any other command is. But then I've got _Linux in a Nutshell_ in front of
me!

> Thanks, and I will look at your scripts, maybe by the time the snow
> flies, the more I do the behinder I get.

I know, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do all you want to do
on your computer, a whole new operating system to learn, new programs and
options to learn, and with windows, at least you got a break everytime it
crashed (about once every 3 hrs on my box!), but with Linux, you can go
for weeks (months?) without that happening!

cog
|  David M. Webster  '------------------------------'  (aka cogNiTioN)  |
| cognition@bigfoot.com |=============| cognite.net will be online RSN. |
'====== I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! ======'