Re: VI, standards, politics and all that

From: Andrew

>The Open Source Writer's Group is worth a try, for a start. ;)
>
>http://thepuffingroup.com/oswg/ is their URL.

They certanly have a lot of links. Been jumping around them for a while,
plenty of places to volunteer ones self.

X files
>True. But automating this should be trivial. Still, I suppose if you're
>using a distribution then a package is the obvious way to go.

Yes, install it automatically using an rpm package.

>Fair enough... I suppose actually setting up X, as opposed to putting
the
>files on to your system, can be a bit of a pain.

Red Hat is attempting to make it painless by using  Xconfigurator in the
initial setup.

>Ah. Well usually it's just a case of working out what their server wants
out
>of you - log in then PPP, or PPP with authentication, or whatever. It
can be
>autodetected for in principle. At least, I imagine this is the case... I
>would assume it's a case of automating the things I did by hand when
trying
>out each of 5 different ISPs =)

A new Linux user usually does have the advantage of already using an ISP
and can call them for the necessary script or get it from their ISP web
page. Autodecting it would be a challenge. I've given you another project
:)

>> Getting connected to the Internet seems to be the second thing a new
>> Linux user tries to accomplish, after getting a GUI that works.
>
>Certainly should be, since that's where all the help is ;)

Actually, the help is on the CD, the problem is to get the new user to
take time to read the help that is available; we are back to easy to read
docs again. I know, I did a little reading then plunged in when I should
have taken the time to read more, just don't know where to start many
times. A little like MS asking, "Where do you want to go today?" The new
user is ready to go, just doesn't know the steps to follow to get there.

Using myself as an example: To instal Red Hat from the CD I used loadlin
and was stuck at what information was needed when it came time to
partition the disk. After several attempts, I realised I was not getting
anywhere. I had to go back to Windoze and read the rhmanual that was in
HTML on the CD. I got the CD from Cheap Bytes, no available install
manual, I was, am, an experienced computer user, ha!

>> If you can, look at KDE.
>
>If I can get hold of a CD and a machine to put it on. Otherwise, no go
(slow
>net connection and not much disk space ;-/ )

I just downloaded the 1.1.1 from the KDE site, I can put it on a CD, I
think, where are you? Me: SW ID n7su@micron.net  It does take a lot of
disk space and I have a 8 gig disk just for Linux so I can play around
with all the programs.

>> I knew my measly 1000 or so lines was not much.
>
>Skill? No, stubbornness ;)

Linear thinking!

>Code bloat isn't such a wonderful thing, anyway...

I am amazed at the teams that put together software, I suppose breaking
it up into modules and ouch my head hurts.

Bud