Re: Inde CD

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 Romulus15@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/15/99 9:49:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lee@insync.net
> writes:
>
> << As far as making a CD bootable, the question is, bootable into what?  Some
>  type of image that runs like the floppies?  From DOS?  What? >>
>
> Make it just like the current RH cd.  It boots directly into the setup
> program.  Let's make it easy for people.  Also, when we distrib. the cd's do
> we also distribute a boot disk/supplimental disk with the cd for people who
> can't boot from cd?

I we should; many people may want to run Linux on one of their old
computers, most of which will not support booting from CD, others won't
know how to enable it.

> Or do we create a long winded readme file that explains
> how to create a boot/supp disk from each os?  And that assumes people already

Just use one boot disk, choose an OS to put on it, as it is a boot disk,
it needen't be platform specific.

> have an OS installed to view the readme file.  Or do we include a sheet of
> paper explaining how to create the disks?  There's more than just burning the

Couldn't we include basic instructions on the CD cover, like:

3 easy steps to install Independence:

1) Insert floppy disc in drive,
2) Turn on computer,
3) Follow on screen prompts.

For more detailed help, mail <insert-help-mail-address-here-(perhaps one
which forwards to this mailing list, or maybe a seperate mailing list?)>
or visit our web site on <htt://independence.seul.org/>.

This could be printed next to the logo/cd front cover (if there's going to
be one), then just folded over and cut out.

> cd that we need to think about.  Also, how do we send the cd's?  Standard
> mail?  UPS ground?  People's choice?

That depends on where it's going, the cost and such. It should probably be
down to an agreement made between the distributor (the person burning the
CD), and whoever is buying it.

> We need to start working on the details of distributing Inde.

It seems to me we're doing that at the moment! :)

cog
|  David M. Webster  '------------------------------'  (aka cogNiTioN)  |
| cognition@bigfoot.com |=============| cognite.net will be online RSN. |
'====== I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! ======'