Re: [yh] Distros & Firewalls (fwd)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, David Webster wrote:

> I saw this on another list I'm on, and thought I should forward it on.
>
> As most of you probably know I feel that the security should be as easy as
> possible to set up. I'm not sure how secure Indy is out of the box, but
> have suggested that some of the yashy-hack list members join Indy and help
> with us with security.

Currently, as a matter of policy, we don't run unnecessary services out of
the box. This includes the dreaded r-services and telnetd/ftpd/fingerd ( I
think ).  BTW, I agree with your point of view. I've had several rants
about this myself.

I don't believe  we are firewalled.  It's a good idea if it's easy to
undo, otherwise it's not such a good idea.

We need to consider different cases seperately too:

*	Workstation
*	Server
*	Custom

Cheers,