Re: Security

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> The concept of the liberator is to help the user by guiding them through
> the configuration step by step _with_ documentation provided in an easy to
> read and understand fashion (aka, online help) so the user can
> configure and use the application themselves without needing very
> much PC knowledge and with the system hiding as much of the
> configuration as possible. Not just a pop up that says "Contact your
> system administrator and have them configure it for you!" -or- "RTFM,
> visit five web sites, and come back later when you know more about it!"

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of liberators, on all but one point:

> IMO this should be a standard in a 'user friendly' distribution and I am

User friendly should mean friendly to ALL users, (newbies through
hackers), and therefore should hide what it's doing so as to not confuse
the newbies, but so that the wannabie hackers can see what is going on,
exactly what the liberator is doing, and learn from it.

Perhaps in the form of a log file?

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| <cognition@bigfoot.com> |-|===========|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='