Install report, 5 FEB 99.

This is the install report for Indy with 5 FEB 99 Indy*.tgz, etc updates.

General: "Install stopper" / linuxconf: fixed.
Otherwise: Some bugs remain. startx broke.
--------------------------
> > >   package XFree86-devel at line 1400 does not exist
> > >                                 1628
No change.

> > > Forgot this before, but still a problem:
> > > The Red Hat/Indy boot/supp disks read in fast (30 seconds?),
> > > but the reboot disk (written during Phase 1)
> > > takes about 5 minutes to be read.
> >
> > > The boot/supp disks and reboot disk should all read in
> > > just as fast, not some fast and the other slow (~5 min.)
> > >
> > > This _must_ be fixed.
No change.

> > > -----------------
> > > Also, please remove the LILO timeout.
> > >
> > > It's very hard to hunt-n-peck "l i n u x S" or whatever, during reboot
> > > when the keyboard isn't yet configured (I use dvorak-r) and LILO then
> > > decides to take off without waiting for us to finish typing first.
No change.

> > > ---------------------

All fixed now!
Thanks, Jean.

Worse. There's a /var/log/uucp directory with uucp.00000014, and
everything under it, too.

--------------
After the (successful) reboot I used linuxconf to create a user.
No linuxconf error screens.
Fixed.

-------------------
I logged in as the new user created above.
I entered: "startx"
Reply:
"execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
X11TransSocketUNIX Connect: Can't connect: errno=2
[repeated 5 xs]
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno=2):
       unable to connect to x server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error."

This is a problem.

I am using the Red Hat 5.2 errata packages for XFree86 3.3.3.1.
Could that be why?
Was I required to (is a newbie suppose to have to)
do any manual X configuring before entering "startx"?

Thanks,
Eddie
emaddox@sihope.com