Re: gooeys

> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:36:58 +0000
> From: Kevin Forge <forgeltd@usa.net>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> Matt & Kim wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to extract myself from the tarbaby called ms-windows. I want
> > something *different*. Not just a better, more stable, more efficient
> > version of windows. I want the interface and the experience of using the
> > computer to reflect the spirit of the community which created the software:
> > freedom, generosity, sharing, inquiry, vigorous debate, collaboration, etc,
> > etc.
>
> Not to worry.  X comes with a great many interfaces.  The freedom
> and jow of Linux is the do-it-your-self attitude.  Sure the system
> may come up with KDE running.  You are then free to dip in and
> tinker to get something you like better.  Most distributions, not
> just indi, come with other Window managers, panels and such.  Go
> mix and match.
>
> If you can't get it going it's because you have insufficient linux
> experience.  KDE is there so you can get work done while gaining
> that experience.
>
> PS : Welcome aboard.

In Indy you don't have to tinker.  Just uninstall KDE (rpm -e kdebase)
and when you restart X (no need to logout) you will be dropped into
classic X.  Of course because the default windows manager is fvwm2
with Win95 look and feel you will find this is still more windowish
than KDE.  I will probably make a quick hack for making Windowmaker
with the Night theme the default.  But perhaps this is not a good
idea: FVWM2 with Win95 looks will be more familiar to the user than
Windowmaker.  But Windowmaker is so nice...

I also think it is silly to be different from Windows just for the
sake of it like the people of UBE are doing.  For one part the user
interface of Windows is not so bad.  And second: you don't win by
refusing to copy enemy's good points.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org