Re: X, screen sizing.

> (All my X is/has been 3.3.3.1 from RH 5.2 errata, remember.
> Jean, I think, forgot, even though I kept noting that fact.
> But he's busy so I can understand.)
>
> I played with XF86Config a bit:
> "
> # Screen sections
> # The 16-color VGA server
> "
>
> I changed Modes and Virtual to:
> "
> 	Modes 		"640x480"
> 	Virtual 	 640 480
> "
>
> This results in satisfactory operation for me.
>
> I haven't tried Donovan's idea of just commenting out the Virtual line and
> leaving the Mode line unchanged from the stock version. Perhaps when Jean
> finishes his distribution uploads I can reinstall and try it.

The fact is that X was originally run on the large screens of Unix
workstations so many apps are designed for large screens and will have
windows much too big for a 640x480.  Even 800x600 is annoying from
time to time. 1024x768 is the minimum confortable resolution.  That is
one of the reasons the XFree people made possible to have bigger
virtual resolutions than what was allowed by your average PC monitor.

The problem is not so much virtaul resolutions but the fact RedHat
configures its window managers for switching virtual desktops when you
press against the border.  When you are pushing your mouse to scroll
your virtual _screen_ it is much too easy to end in another _desktop_.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org