Re: Kernel 2.2.2, include?

> > As an example I think it is much more important to modify Indy in
> > order after install the user is at H minus 2 minutes from being able
> > to ask for help in case he needs it (ie improve network configuration
> > for PPP users).
>
> pppsetup from slackware.
> This is the nicest and simplest to use text mode ppp configuration
> tool I have ever seen.  Way easier than LinuxConf.  This is for
> those who need help with 'X' of course.  If the GUI works then KPPP
> is the default.

I want to hack the install in order the PPP config is asked then.
When I see installs configuring networking only for people in LANs I
tend to believe the author lives in Mars (where everyone has an
ethernet at home).  Of course it must be made possible to configure
after install: the user could not have parms at hand whne installing.

Also depending on what program was used for configuring PPP, starting
and stopping PPP will use differnt mechanisms.  It is needed to make
it smart enough for identifying if PPP was configured with the tool we
will choose or with Linuxconf (possibly a legacy config) and use the
right mechanism.

It is also a pity that every distribution is using its own PPP
configurator.  This is an area where if Linux people used a single
mechanism it would be possible to ask providers to deliver PPP
connection scripts.  Linux is now a not negligible market share and
its share between networked users is still bigger.  Lack of a united
front and our minorty and hackeristic culture (we do it instead of
asking it being provided) is the factor who is impeding that we get
PPP configs from the providers.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org