Re: LinNieghborhood 0.4.3

----- Original Message -----
From: R.G. Mayhue <rgmayhue@serenesoftware.com>
To: <independence-l@independence.seul.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: LinNieghborhood 0.4.3

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 11:08:21PM -0500, Jonathan Veit wrote:
> > > I've seen the CFM, and it is indeed quite good for the end user.
However
> > > I've never used LinNeighbor Hood, but I would be willing to test out
for you
> > > guys at my school network where we are currently trying to get a linux
> > > server up, which will be connected to a Win2000 network.  Also we are
going
> > > to use 6.2beta so thats a plus.  And I probably have a good
perspective on
> > > it since I don't myself have the much experience in Samba we will see
how
> > > Indy-ish it truly is.
> > >
> > > ~Jon
> >
> > If you wanted to try this (or another one) out in your school, and write
up
> > a summary of what you did, how it worked, whether it performed as you
> > expected (and how it stacks up against other solutions you've seen, if
> > you've seen this done other times), this would be really keen.
> > I could pull some strings to get the document some good publicity. It
would
> > be good publicity for whatever application you picked, good publicity
for
> > Independence/Seul, good publicity for your school... good all around. :)
> >
> I just want to comment here. I think this idea of Rogers is an excelent
> one! When I have some spare time I will check with some of the high
> schools in my area and see if they would be interested in doing
> something like this. It would be a really cool project for some students
> and provide a neat way of giving Indy users a overview of available
> software.
>
> Nice one Roger!!
>
> What do you think Jon?

Well it indeed is a good idea. However I've run into some problems in
getting around to it in my school.   One, its not really my machine and not
the only one using it. To do compare software might make some other people
who used it a little annoyed.   Also because my admin doesn't linux he
basically gives us servers that he can't use anymore and we try to fix em
up.  The one we have right now is pretty banged up however and we get BIOS
errors and the cd-rom isn't working.  How fair a test site this would be I
dunno.  Also its been having a lot of problems and we are probably going to
do a reinstall, how it goes after that I let you know.

Also my school lets a select students set up test networks and work with it,
which is pretty rare.  Many schools don't let students touch the server
computers so I think you would have to confront school faculty instead of
students in most areas.

~Jon