Re: Delays

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:18:32 -0600 (CST)
> From: Eddie Maddox <emaddox@sihope.com>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> On 31 Jan 1999 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
> > The fact I am only writer, only tester, only everything means slow
> > progress.
> >
> > --
> > 			Jean Francois Martinez
>
> Keep it up. We need it.

The install is RedHAt with names changed to protect inocents from
being sued. :-)

> I've mirrored Indy to my hard drive and tried installing it.
> (AMD K6, 32MB, some SCSI drives, AHA1542.)

Until I fix a couple things with the install I advise you to install
RedHat 5.2 and then install over it the RPMS in the "differential"
directory.

> 1.
> The Red Hat install disks do not remember which SCSI driver
> to use on the reboot. So I use LILO to do reboots using the Debian
> 2.0.36 kernel image. (I run Deban 2.0 with 2.0.36 kernel as my
> "production" system.)

Debian is very excentric with its kernels and adds non standard
features like MCA support.  What I do is copy the kernel image to my
production partition and then add an entry to the lilo.conf in it.

In addition RedHat doesn't compile SCSI in the kernel.  It uses the
initrd method so you also have to copy the initrd image in your boot
partition.  Finally it is useful to generate a lilo.conf during
install (with the booter going to RedHat's root partition and NOT
becoming master booter) for you being able to know additional parms
who could be needed

> 2.
> The reboot, with Debian 2.0.36 kernel image, seems to proceed ok
> until reboot is nearly finished.
> (/var/log/dmesg has nothing after "Adding Swap:".)
>
> What happens is console screen (generic VGA color)
> gets scrambled and system dies. Need to press Reset button.

Never saw that.  Perhaps related to font loading.

> Needless to say, this is a show stopper for me.
>

> I'm not a coder/writer, so don't expect me to debug code, etc.

But there are _plenty_ things to do for non coders.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org