Explanation of the Indy specific software

ClanLib: Game library, I will include ClanBomber with it.

FileRunner: a filemanager reminding Amiga's.  It can also act as an
FTP client.

Giram: Modeller who uses POV as raytracer.  Linux is supposed to be fun.

GnoSamba: Makes easier to config Samba

GTk-Perl: used by Independence's Gimp

Hermes: provides MMX acceleration to the ClanLib and SDL libraries.

LinPopUp: allows sending and getting WinPopUp messages.  For instance a
Samba printer server could notify the user when the job is finished,
alternatively a Linux user printing through an NT or Samba server will be
avle to know when his output has been printed.

MPEG:  An MPEG encoder and decoder.

Mesa: 3D libray used by various programs in Indy

OpenPTC: needed for the game libraries.

SDL: Indy's second game library.

Timidity++:  Midi sound player.

VNC: With it you can display on Linux applications running on Windows or
Macs. Or the opposite.

VNC-alien: This is the part of VNC who will run on Windows or Macs.

Visual-Tcl: IDE and GUI builder for TCL/TK.  One of Indy's goals is to get
that Windows people develop on Linux.

Wav-plugin: A Wav plugin for netscape.

XFree86 (Indy): This is obsolete.  Indy had a patched XFree supportng
more cards than RedHat, now RedHat has cauight up howver Indy's XFree
had the hooks for running XFCE in addition to Gnoime and KDE.  However
I don't think I will be able to add XFCE so I will put the new XFree
in the updates section (we will use 3.3.6 against RedHat's 3.3.5)

Xconfigurator (Indy): The XF86Config built by RedHat assumes the user
is smart enough to nevver shutdown the font server.  I find that
making a distribution so frail to user error is unacceptable, so
Indy's configurator geerates a config file whho aloows X to be more
tolerant of user errors.

aalib: Needed by Indy's gimp.

abisuite: Wysywyg word processor able to read MS word files.

acroread; Adobe's PDF reader, better quality than xpdf and able to
read files xpdf chokes upon.

anacron: Indy does not assume that every Linux user and specially personal
isers will kepp their boxes powered up 24 hours a day.

atalkconf: Graphical configurator for netatalk (Apple Talk server).

autofs: (Indy) Indy was the first distrib relieving the user of the chore of
mounting CDROMs.  This was unacceptable on workstations.

blender: A complete tool for graphical creation.

cbb: Check book balancer.  I have seen much too often people
complaining they had to keep Windows due to lack of a Quicken like
program.  We asumme that many Linux users use it at home and that means
they need programs in this vein.

cdda2wav: Reading audio data from CDs and making WAv files of it.

cooledit:  Nice X editor.

etcskel (Indy): This contains the files wgho will be placed in the
home directory of a newly created user.  Indy puts some tricks of its
own in this files/

gaim:  Taliking to people using AOL's instant messaging service.

gdm (Indy): This is specific due to stupid copyright reasons: it
displays RedHat logo.

gfcc: Allows easy configuration of masquerading and similar tricks you
can do with ipchains.  Can be useful in corporations but also for people
with two computers linked by a LAN at home

gimp 1.1.14: For the artist sleeping in each user.  This version is
supposed to be for developers but I found stable and leagues ahead of
the old gimp 1.0 shipped in RedHat..

gimpdoc-pdf: This is version 2 of the manual.  RedHat uses HTML for
the Gimp manual, Indy's uses PDF due to the far graeter quality of the
output.  In addition some chapters of the manual would not display on
Netscape unless you had _at least_ 64 megs of memory.

gltt: This is a library who will no longer be needed after we drop
mooonlight, but the demo is so nice I will keep it in the distrib
hoping people will create programs with it.

gnomeicu:  ICQ client.

gphoto: Downloading images from electronic cameras and making some
common manipulatins like removing the red eyes effect.

grip:  CD player and ripper.

gtk--: C++ interface for GTK+

gxtar:  A Gnome front end to tar, gzip, bzip2 archives.

ibtk:  For ATI TV cards.

initscripts (Indy): Indy provides for automatic activation of network
daemons when a PPP link is brought up.  Also Indy is smarter and more
robust than RedHAt respective to an uninstalled gdm, kdm.  These
tricks and perhaps some more are provded through this packege.

install-sendmail: Easy configuration of sendmail.  We want the user
being able to ask for help if something goes wrong.

kdebase (Indy): Again there is alittle Indy trick making things easier
for the user.

kdevelop: IDE for UNix.  If I have tiime to build it we will ship Code
Crusader instead

killustrator: I wanted a vector drawing program but I still doubt
between this and 'sketch'.  Anyone willing to compare them?

klyx: Nearly wysywyg word processor.

knetmon: You really need it if you have windows boxes around you.
People who have never been in this situation include Gniomba instead.  :-)

kvoice: Voice utility for modems

kwintv: Watch TV

lesstif: Library replcng Motif.  Intended for Ted but some of the
Motif apps we have could be recompiled with it.

libwmf: needed for abisuite.

lilo (Indy):  Indy's LILO tells you how to get out of trouble.

lincity: Game.

lokkit: Instant protection against the scum of the Internet.  Indy does
not assume the user has an experienced sysadmin at hand or is sitting
behind a firewall: we have heard of something called home users.

loser: Game.  Far too fast when the box has been optimized by Cobra.

lpe: A reasonable editor with online help for people who have to fix a
box before having time to learn VI.  Indy's installs it in a such way
it is available in the most desperate situations.

Tommmorrow I will comment the rest.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org