Re: Before you release....

> IIRC, Indy is based on the RedHat 6.0 install, so I guess that the same
> would apply to Indy's install. But, in my experience most Linux systems
> give you the option to create a boot disk. Everytime I install a Linux
> system, I create a boot disk, and use that instead of over writting the
> MBR. I currently don't dual boot on any of my machines, but none of them
> have anything useful in the MBR, they all boot direct from a floppy.
> Granted I do only reboot my boxes to install/play with the hardware,
> install a UPS or similar, so I'm probably not the user Indy's aimed at,
> but I can't see why this solution shouldn't be usable by 'normal' users.
> Infact if Indy 6.1-0.8 uses the same install manager (more or less) as
> 6.0-0.8, then it DOES ask/prompt/allow the creation of a boot disk; my
> current Indy system boots from the floppy.
>
> Perhaps we should add this into the docs, or install process?

The problem is just redhat's installation or any other installation I've
seen,  never lets users know of the problem. Redhat's partition wizard just
says the partition is too big when you try to partition a linux native above
the 1024 sector.  When you try redhat's fdisk it says you might have
problems. And lilo's installation doesn't check.  Never does it say, "you
have a problem because of this, skip lilo installation and just use a
bootdisk and you'll be ok." I have never seen redhat's actual
documentation - im a more wing it type of guy :) - but i think the
installation should at least present whats going on.  Also the problem of
getting redhat's partion tool to work with the bug there.

In short.. We have to notify users of the problem more easily.... not tucked
away in some howto or from some guy in a chat room.

~Jon