Re: ISP-ing

> Den tor, 24 jun 1999 skrev du:
> > >It probably uses the 'fixed' font which is 6x13 as standard. I prefer 7x13,
> > >8x13 or even 10x20 (for really big resolutions).
> > >
> > >You can try different things (at your own risk) like putting
> > >*font: 8x13
> > >in your ~/.Xdefaults
> > >or in: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias you can change the line:
> > >fixed        -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-
> > 1
> > >to some other value like e.g.:
> > >fixed        -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-1
> > >and then restart X (or reboot Linux if you're using RH6 with the font
> > server).
>
> Btw, what is the point with this font server, it doesn't seem to support
> true type fonts like I thought it would, so what's the big idea, Redhat???

It does support TT fonts.  It also allows asynchronous rendering of
fonts: when X has to rasterize the fonts itself it becomes unable to do
anything else.  There is paper on this in the RedH&at site .

> > Thanks Birger,
> >
> > I'll explore those files, my neck and nose hurts from pressing against the
> > monitor.
>
> Ok :-)
>
> But remember to edit the font.alias 100% correctly, if X can't find a valid
> font for 'fixed', it wont start and you might have to edit font.alias in
> 'vi' (yikes!) on the console! (Sorry to vi lovers, but that's just not my
> idea of a fun time)

Being flogged is not my idea of fun but there are people who find this
so fun they are ready to pay for.  Same thing for using VI.  :-)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org