Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: Synopsis

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Rune Christiansen wrote:

> >When you download an srpm and do an rpm -U on it you get the spec file
> >in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.  This file contains the descriptions.
> >However I will put somewhere a tgz containing SPEC files to be modified.
>
> I have no doubt about the fact that it's easy to download an SRPM etc. but
> it's even easier (read: faster) to mail the texts.

Less bandwidth hungry, as well?

> Maybe a translation group is the answer?:
>
> Fictive situation: Five people are all members of the list
> "indy-translation". Person A is the list boss (or manager if you like), B is
> from Norway, C is from Sweden and D is from Denmark. Person E is person (or
> script maybe?) which compiles the RPM's:
>
>   1. A sends a text to the list.
>   2. B, C and D translates the text and sends
>      it to E.
>   3. E compiles the RPM.

Sounds like a reasonable idea. I could be the english
translator. i.e. grammar/spell checking.

> >The installs uses gettext and that means that whenever it has to
> >display a text it looks in a databse for the translation.  Emacs makes
> >realtively easy to build that database
>
> Wouldn't know. I use vi...

;)

> >> I've just downloaded the web site tar-ball. I'll check the form text and
> see
> >> what can be done...
>
> Note: I can't get WinZip (yes, I'm sitting on a Windows machine + OE) to
> unzip the gz file. Anybody want to ship me a clean tar-ball?

Is the web-tar-ball still being maintained?

I could email it to you if you want.

> >Try to convince him in becoming an active member of Indy and spending
> >a little time for it
>
> Shouldn't be necessary if the form text is made more clear?

It should be clear, but we want, need as many people as possible. Thus
some coaxing may need to be done.

> >As long as the program is about manipulating files and/or it can be
> >easily reduced into series of wtandard commands (ie rm, find, grep)
> >then you are right.
>
> It is actually possible to make real apps from shell scripts. cognition
> (David Webster for those who didn't know) should have a clear idea about the
> project I'm talking about... :)

;)

FWIW: I'm actually working on a shell script guide, and getting 'round to
commenting the 50+ apps I've written. It's just at the concept stage, atm,
but it should be finished by july/august time.

> Unfortunately I don't wish to learn Perl, nor Python (but you are probably
> right :)

I'd recommend that you atleast look at perl. It's a good language, and is
probably worth knowing (job wise).

David
--
David Webster |   cognite.net    | Project Independence Linux, Security:
cog@seul.org  | cogito, ergo sum | http://independence.seul.org/security/