Re: Indy cover second (and probably last) draft.

on 6/11/01 6:49 PM, Jean Francois Martinez at jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> Here is the second draft of Indy cover.   I would like to have comments since
> perhaps the tone is overly agressive
>
> JFM
Here is another revised and clearer copy. Mostly grammatical changes.

Darin Lang  mailto:darin@chandeliershop.com
My Web Sites: http://ChandelierShop.com
http://KodiakLodge.com
and Coming Soon----> http://YahooFarm.com

cover.txt

<ibid>IF Linux is a good thing, then it should be for everyone not just for an elite of technonerds</ibid>

The free software spirit has always been about sharing, that is why
Independence aims for a Linux usable by everyone. Linux has continued to be a system used mainly by programmers and geeks, while Windows has been the default OS adopted by the masses.
Independence is a <emph>free</free> distribution whose emphasis is in
making Linux usable by everyone.  We aim to provide Linux for the desktop; for the home user;  for the people who need a system simple to use, because they have to care for it themselves from day one without a teacher or a sysadmin for troubleshooting.

<H2>Why another distribution</H2>

We believe that both the commercial distributions and the present free
distributions have inherent shortcomings for putting Linux on the
desktop: the business model of commercial distributions naturally
<ref><A>favors the server</A>limits#commercial</A> while the present
free distributions are aristocratic ones made by peole who <b>care
little</b> about putting Linux in the hands of everyone.

That is why Indy aims to be a <emph>free </emph> distribution
those who live in Linux strongholds.  Because they know better than
anyone what the problems they had were, we hope, they will be keener on
trying to help others avoid them.

<H2>Design goals</H2>

You can have a more detailed text <REF>here<A>link to goals </ref> but
they are basically three: help the user, propogate Linux broadly
and liberate the user from Windows.  There are also
some don'ts in Indy: Indy does not do demagogics (things which impress
the user but are useless) and we want devlopers always judging the usefulness of the feature they are introducing, rather than how
smart they will look.

<H2>We need <emph>you</emph></H2>

Independence is a grass roots project, what it can do depends on what
people do for it.  Even if you are not a programmer you can help
since there are plenty of tasks for non-programmers.  What really
matters is not programming skill but a genuine desire to help the
Linux cause.  If you dislike having 95% of computer users being
trapped in Windows, if you would like to do something about it then
join the Independence group.