Re: FW: Project Independence - Tried it, and I like it so far. :-)

> the things that are missing.  I am wanting to help in the Docs, Quick
> Starts, Guides...  All that unglamorous non-coding stuff. :-)  We return
> you know to our show already in progress...

Good to have you on board. I've been throwing around some non-coding
documents (documentation plus advocacy) that were submitted to the seul
project, in seul-pub lately. The more the merrier.

> >> chance to bang on everything, but so far I am impressed.  I am about to
> >> point a lot of friends at it, but before I do, we might want to address
> >> a few issues.  The least of which is 5-10 people on T1 and OC3 links
> >> hitting your server at once. :-)
> >>

> >The box is at MIT and MIT must have something like a T2000 (Terminator
> >:-) .  In fact the limiting factor will be the Ethernet linking the
> >FTP site to MIT's backbone

Actually, the ethernet linking cran to MIT's backbone is a T3. The limiting
factor is this poor little AMD 586/133 that we call ftp.seul.org.

However, I've just moved everything over to belegost, and installed proftpd
on belegost. The old URLs are the same, except it's belegost.seul.org instead
of ftp.seul.org, and you can omit the 'pub' directory. (I'll put a symlink
so using the pub directory won't break anything.) I've also changed over all
the docs on the website. People should be able to use either cran (that is,
ftp.seul.org) or belegost for ftp.  We'll deal with keeping the two sites
synced later on.

Also, you can get at the independence repository via the web at
http://www.mirrors.seul.org/ftp/independence/
We might want to encourage people to use web rather than ftp, since apache
is generally much more efficient.

In both cases, belegost ought to be tough enough to handle a lot more load
than cran. (It's a P5/166mmx with 224 megs of ram, soon to have dual CPUs.)

Instead of belegost.seul.org, I could call it www.seul.org if people thought
a shorter name was better. I was hesitant to call it www.seul.org though,
since some people might think that couldn't be an ftp server. I suppose I
could call it ftp2.seul.org as well. That's actually not a bad plan at all,
since it will still work correctly if they use ftp.seul.org.
Suggestions/comments?

> >>    I can help with that.  As long as my bandwidth doesn't effect my
> >> company enough for them to notice, I can do whatever I want.  It would
> >
> >Problem is when we will be pushing the distrib to MIT.  A 1G upload.
> >Of course we would do it off hours.  Alternatively you send them a
> >couple of CDs but that is slower.
>
>    Still... A one time push, verses a constant access.  Also, I though
> space was the big problem at MIT.  Anyway, if you need it, you got it.

Excellent. Space is a problem here, since I can only commit 3-4 gigs
and I'm already committing most of it. Let me know an IP/hostname and I'll
set you up in the seul.org domain. How much space do you have available?
(Heh. Soon I'll have to make a webpage listing the seul and seul-friendly
machines. We're getting kind of large. :)

Thanks,
--Roger