RE: another success story

>> I dd'ed the two floppies, booted, and eventually got a pair of floppies
>> which didn't have bad sectors.

   This brings up a point...  There is no image writer on the ftp site!
Not to mention that "Grab these images and make floppies" is a bit vague
to a beginner.  I grabbed a copy of rawrite3 from a Caldera CD I had
handy, and put it in the images directory of the iso image I am working
on.  I used it because it was easy, runs with instructions, and was on
the first CD I could find. :-)  I also shamelessly modified Caldera's
English readme for instructions.  Any problems with this?

>> ...  The first install I did, when I started X it
>> failed to load KDE. Just a black screen with a mouse pointer that changed
>> shape when I clicked it. I poked at it for a while, then decided to
>> reinstall with more packages (just in case) -- all packages but the
>> funny-language howto translations.
>
>The problem is that the Xconfigurator for XFree 3.3.3.1 has put you
>wrongly in a color depth not supported by your card.  This is a RedHat
>bug.
>
>No relation with loading KDE.
>
>I will take a look at it ASAP.

   Put me down for a second.  I have a bunch of machines, and I am
installing it on a few for variety. :-)  Machine 1 went perfect <other
than sound...  Still haven't looked>, but machine 2...  It found the
card, and picked a supported mode, but came up like it was overscanned.
It also could not find the NIC on install.  Most of the machines I have
are Compaq DeskPro's with integrated Video and NICs.  This one was a
DeskPro 4000 5133.  It had a GD 540 based video <if I remember right>
and a Netflex 3/P on board.  A CD install doesn't let you look for more
that the 10 drivers on disk 1...  <sigh>  Being in Houston, I see a lot
of Compaqs, and I know the support sucks.

>> I picked 'custom' resolution for X, and chose only 16 bit and 24 bit
>>choices
>> (in terms of color depth). When I started X (via startx), it complained
>> that there were no 8 bit color choices, and it died. I went into the
>> XF86Config file and added
>>
>> DefaultColorDepth 16
>>

>Odd

   I picked 1024x768 24 bit.  It wanted 1024x768 32 bit.  They both
failed.  I still do not have X on that system.