RE: Documentation

>>    I have some thoughts on a few easy ways to do this.  First, is to
>> setup a link to the KDE help in the autostart folder of the default
>> desktop.  Or a script that launches it once, and then deletes itself.
>
>I would get confused if something was launched the first time I started
>X and then I never saw it again and had no idea how to get it back. How
>about a little "click here if you don't want this to autostart next time"
>button? Seems that would give the users more control over their own
>destiny...

   I have doubts about it to.  The problem is I couldn't figure out how
to build that "click here..." button. :-)  Also, the first thing taught
would be how to click the big "Help" button on the toolbar. :-)  But am
I open to suggestions.

>>    As for the docs themselves, I am working on them now.  First is a
>> quick start guide.  I will need some screen shots, however, and I don't
>
>http://www.computerbank.org.au/perth/doco/introcompandlinux-0.03.html is
>something the computerbank project is building. might want to contact the
>author and offer to collaborate if it's something you might get something
>out of. i think computerbank is a neat project, so i'm following along with
>it (and i'm also hosting their archives, www.seul.org/archives/computerbank/)

   I will look into it, and shamelessly pillage whatever is useful. :-)
And possibly join the movement.  It seems like it may be aligned with my
efforts.

>> know how to get screenshots of an install.  Any hints?  After I have a
>> Quick start series, I can start a Quick Admin series with things like
>> how to add users.  Installing applications.  Speaking of which; Is there
>
>there are many many documents out there already that detail this. coming
>up with a list of them and evaluating them might be a good project.

   Actually, I am trying to come up with one document that has the best
of all of them.  Something on the CD, so the new user can brows it from
his windows box before even installing Linux.

>> some reason we can't include a copy of Star Office?
>
>proprietary license -- even redhat can't include it. the best we can do,
>legally, is to provide the staroffice-wrapper rpm, along with instructions
>for how to get the actual rpm. it's actually pretty automated, but it's still
>a pain.

   And a big download.  The odd thing is Caldera has it on there CD.
Unless anyone else is already looking in to it, I will add that to my
plate of oddities.

			Lee