RE: Selecting applications

>> that a bad install will keep new people from trying Linux.  "If I can't
>> even get the thing installed, how can I run it?"  We do need to have a
>> minimum level, clean, easy install, or people will never look at the
>> cool apps we find.
>
>99% of the difficulties encountered by new users installing linux are
>caused by hardware incompatible with the distribution they acquire.
>So putting hours and hours of work into the install will make minimal
>impact on the ease of installation for the average user. On the other
>hand, a "we want drivers" campaign is a smarter way to attack the main
>issues.

   Very true.  The solution I am going for, however, it a pointer to
what to do when it fails.  The AutoDocs will be on line, and on the CD.
When they get to a stuck spot, it should be clear how to solve it, or
get past it.  They should never be at a point like, "I type startX and
the screen blinks a few times and dumps me to the prompt.  Now what..."
Documentation goes a long way towards removing FUD.  So do better error
messages, but that is out of my scope.  Lastly, of course, more
intelligent hardware decisions, but that is out of all of our scopes.
:-)

			Lee