Re: Windows95 users

>    The problem is probably his FTP or tgz software.  The original
> Windows programming guides had no name convention for multiple dots.
> Therefore software written for Win3.1 would change
> XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386 to
> XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3_3_3_1-1.i386 and break the install.  Win95 can
> handle multiple dots, and is case preserving, if not case sensitive.
> Many 3rd party FTP programs and archivers are not.

Netscape 4.5 for Win95 does not support the multiple dots and the kernel with RH
5.1 doesn't grab the long filename, truncating to 8.3.  I didn't have any
problems with an upgrade from an ext2fs partition, even with the mangled names
(i.e. XFree8~1.i386) but I don't know how the upgrade would work from a Win9x
partition.

Brian Wiens