Re: Indy on Cheapbytes? It's for real folks!

> At 02:58 μμ 24/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi team,
> >Below is the responce I got from Cheapbytes reguarding them distributing
> >Indy on CD. It looks good for Indy!! Read on:))

Was the Indy/base directory in Independence.tgz?  This is the place
where the comps file is supposed to be.

> I have checked the comps file and it does state that it is version 0.1 so I
> am simply speachless and have no idea how I can proceed from here. How do
> you all install Indy? Let us assume that you have a blank PC with one hard
> disk CD rom and nothing on it. Or that you have windows 9x on it and that
> you want to install Indy on it what would the steps be?
>
> The steps I have identified are:
>
> 0. Have a functioning Windows box
> 1. download Independence.tgz,
> 2. Unzip Independence.tgz
> 3. create RPMS directory in Indy directory
> 4. download contents of RPMS directories
> 5. defrag Win9x machine
> 6. use fips or ranish to partition hard disk
> 7. create boot disk using rawrite
> 8. create dos/win boot disk in case something goes wrong fith fdisk so we
> can run 'fdisk /mbr' and be able to boot as before
> 9. reboot machine with linux boot disk in floppy
> 10. start hard disk installation
> 11. create indy-linux emergency boot diskette
> 12. start using machine in dual boot mode (Win9x/Linux) using lilo as the
> boot loader
>
> Any comments on the above?
>
> How should I go about Installing Indy then? Would it be better if I install
> RedHat 5.2 and then Indy on top of it after I cp everything of the Relaxed
> Win95 ISO cd I burned? By the way ... what format should I use to burn from
> within Windows a CD which will keep the filenames readable in unix as well?
> Would that be what is know as Rock Ridge Extensions?

I have copied a comps file I had on CD to the proper place in the 6.0
directory.  Let me know if that helps.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org