Re: Just a note,

----- Original Message -----
From: JF Martinez <jfm2@club-internet.fr>
To: <independence-l@independence.seul.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: Just a note,

> Indy wants to be for end user's but only by accident.  Main goal is to
> help, either directly or ideologically, the spreading of Linux.  But
> Unix users are about 5% of the users of computers, so spreading Linux
> means taking care of those 95% of users who are not Unix users.  THta
> means we have to go outside Unix territorry.  That means end users,
> but also small companies, liberal professions (that is the name we
> give in France to peole like lawyers, doctors, writers), desktop users
> and so on.  One of the things you have to keep in mind when thinking
> in those people is that a sizable share of them have to learn at the
> school of hard knocks and that for most of them computers are not
> their work so the time they spend studying is time they have to
> steal from their real work.  All this means you have to think in them
> like if they were Mac users and provide them simple tools.

    Ahhh, ok i see now. This clarification helps a lot.  I thought the
project was just towards end users, but now that you've clarifiy i
understand a bit more on where its going.  Another reason why communication
is good.

=

> Right and cleaning Indy of some apps I think second rate or useless is
> one of my goals but I was not able to carry the task.

Ok, I'm glad and maybwhile using linux i try to keep in mind when looking at
poorly designed applications.

 > > Also I still feel strongly that we put too much on a CD. Corel Linux, =
> > the distrubtion I think is leading the home desktop distrubtions is fit
=
> > with a slim 250 megs of data.  Only KDE, and it limits it self with =
> > apps. Now look at the other extreme, Mandrake over 1000 megs of data, =
> > over 7 window managers, 3 RPM managers and more.  People will be =
>
> Well IMHO Corel has an agenda: sell Word Perfect and Corel Draw so it
> feels logical they are not overly eager to put Abiword or the Gimp in
> the distrib.  :-) I am not convinced by Corel: papers are talking
> about it like if it ware the ninth marvel of the world but everything
> I have read about it was already in Caldera 2.2.

I see your point with Corel Draw and Word Perfect, but I still see it as
very profesinal and quality distribution.  The File Manager was one of the
most impressive of them all makes me wonder why anything else would be used.

> One of the things I don't want in Indy is becoming a monster
> distribution: there is a limit on how much the human mind can cope so
> there is no use in having 7 window managers.  It is true I want to
> cover needs so I add apps that RedHat does not include but ideally for
> every need I would like to include only one app for each task: the
> best one.  Sometimes I have to water down that ideal: when there is no
> clear winner, when the best one requires a monster machine or when an
> app I would like to ditch has a sizable user base so it would harm too
> many people if we removed it.  But I don't add software just for the
> sake of having a marketing argument.

If we ever did go multi-cd i would suggest creating an installation cd -
with reasonable amount apps and X, and then a sort of powertools CD with the
million of apps that fill the niches.

> One of the first things I included in Indy was CBB who has the same
> ecological niche and can read Quicken files.  Gnucash is nicer but it
> uses double entry accounting (ie what is used professionally) instead
> of the more intuitive single entry accounting.  However if people
> support you in this issue I agree we move to Gnucash.  Remeber that
> until I get Indy installation working I am not going to spend time on
> apps and that then we will probably under pressure to release so
> Gnucash or any other app will have far better chances if you can point
> me to a _good_ RPM somewhere (rpmfind.net is first place to search).

Maybe I'll let my dad try both out and see which he finds easier to use.  He
mainly uses quicken on windows.

Also to update you on how the postfix frontend is evolving I'm first
developing strong functions to read and write to the config files before I
move on to the interface.  However if you have an idea of how you think
interface should be setup I would be more than happy if you let me know.
Knowing that I don't have an incredible amount of experience I could
probably destroy what was a pretty good idea with a bad interface. You seem
to use postfix before so maybe you would have a good idea on how to set it
up.

~Jon