Re: Tips

En fre 10 mar 2000 16:25:53 skrev Kevin Forge:
> George Russell wrote:
> >
> > where am i?
> > pwd
>
> I woldn't forgive Indy for not seting
>    PS1="[\u@\h \w]\\$ "
> rather than
>    PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
> so where am I wold be anwered by looking at the prompt.
> just like in DOS.
>
> > Quit vi with "Escape : q !"
> > Quit Emacs with "Ctrl-X,Ctrl-S"
>
> Just in case they are told by some "helpfull" hacker to
> use one of those "text editors" :)
>
> > ls -l
> > ls -s (useful ls switches)
> > ls --color
>
> "ls --color" should be default in Indy also.

If you set

eval `dircolors /etc/DIR_COLORS`

you also get different colours for file extensions, like .gz, .zip, etc. You
can easily add more extensions like .png, .pdf, .ps, just read /etx/DIR_COLORS.
Those accents are `grave accents` btw., no other will do for some bizarre
reason. That confused me for a long time.

ls -F will also append an indicator (one of */=@|) to special files (dir, link,
exec etc.). My default alias is 'ls -F --color=auto'.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards/Amicalement
Birger Langkjer