Re: Newbie Idea

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 1999, Kevin Sproul wrote:
>
> > 1 : Set up the disk ( Partitioning, format etc...  Includes adding
> >  mount points for DOS partitions etc...
>
> this could be done automatically as with "workstation" install.
>
> Are you suggesting that we make the user go through the partitioning
> manually ? this isn't a bad idea for advanced users, but for beginners, it
> creates extra work.

I would suggest that, at a minimum, the user be told that they requires X
amount of space and a) confirm that the free space available on the existing
disk be used for Linux, b) there is X amount of space on this partition, do
you want us to shrink it and use this freed up space for Linux or c) there is
insufficient space on any partition for Linux, which partition do you want us
to use with a big warning "THIS WILL DESTROY ALL INFORMATION ON THIS DRIVE.
DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!" or
something like that.

Brian Wiens