Re: Newbie Idea

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Birger Langkjer wrote:

> I think that deleting user's data without asking them first should be like the
> sin against the Holy Ghost in computing: All other sins will be forgiven,
> except this one :-)

There is already a warning. But a seperate warning screen would be an
improvement.

> Also remember that sometimes ppl are installing at 4 am. in the morning and
> they've been at it for 12 hours or something,

I don't think we should assume that the user is (a) an idiot, or (b)
exhausted to the point that they will act like an idiot. It's reasonable
to assume that the user will take a big red warning screen seriously.

> there should be atleast 3-4
> warnings like in the install-script for WindowMaker

I disagree with this. More than one warning dialog is annoying, and an
insult to the users intelligence. It also makes all subsequent warnings
less credible and lulls the user into a "bash away at the OK button"
mentality. Moreover, the user who ignores one warning will probably also
ignore two warnings.

-- Donovan