Re: Custom install guide

> > I have written the beginning of a guide to package selection which helps
> > newbies decide which of the package groups they wish to install.
> >
> > It is at
> >
> > http://cran.seul.org/~donovan/packages.html
> >
> > Comments welcome ( especially from new users )
> >
> > I can possibly churn out something vaguely similar for the "individual
> > packages", but I am currently having doubts as to the cost(time) / benifit
> > ratio.
> >

> I doubt still more: packages provide their own descrptions, some of
> them can be unclear but changing them requuires a massive rebuilding.

I have found a number of points in your page:

1) You don't define FTP (make clear the difference with shared disks)
and SNMP.  SNMP (simple netwwork management protocol) allows the state
of every box in the network being viewed from a supervising machine
like boxes down or unreachable, overloadede boxes, nearly full disks
and so on as provided by a machine definition called a MIB.

2) Development raoups are useless for non-programmers but do not assume
home users <=> home users

I did it I used a math sysmbol.  :-)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez