Re: Just wondering...

> From: "Lorne Williams" <lornew@direct.ca>
> Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 15:15:37 -0700
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> Has there been discussion here of basing the distribution on
> Debian/KDE/Corel ? I've been investigating and downloading Debian and am
> impressed with their policy of strict adherence to standards in their
> packaging.
>
> Lorne.

Yes.  It was rejected.  Basing on Debian would mean to build a nice,
_useless_ distrib.  The reason is Debian has only a small user base
and still smaller if you consider the people who need user
friendliness.  In addition it is not distributed in the right channels
to reach beginners, there is no book based on it.  Beginners need
books, beginners don't download distribs: they buy them in end user
stores.  And basing on Debian would mean helping 1% of people needing
help.  I prefer to help the 99% remaining.

See www.laetos.org for a project wanting to base on Debian.

See also the postings of Eric Barroca in this list a few weeks ago and
my replies for a dicussion of the issue.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org