Emacspeak + Soundcard RPM

Kevin Forge wrote:

 After investigating Emacspeak and the tools required for it's use
 in a Linux distribution without need for a hardware synthesizer,
 it looked like Embrola was the barier to such usage.  Emacspeak
 and Festival seem free enogh.

 I contacted the person responsible for distribution of the "free"
 MBROLA and the response is below, followed by my clumsy original
 message.

 Basically any Linux distribution that's free for download from
 popular mirror sites can now legally include the package without
 any special permission.  This includes the likes of Slackware,
 RedHat, Mandrake etc...

 Also, If someone can produce a single RPM or a bundle with MBROLA,
 FESTIVAL and EMACSPEAK, that can be put up for use.  Hopefully LSB
 will let a single package work for all the distributions that don't
 fall into the mainstream.  Eventually :)

 I got this setup working some time ago but that went the way of FDISK
 when Wendy migrated.  I honestly don't recall how I did it, just that
 it took many weeks of work.  If you can  help out, I'll be glad for
 the assistance.  I don't need to get it working for another 2 years,
 7 months and 3 days.  ( So I'm counting the minutes till she comes
 back.  sue me :).  By then I will be able to do it myself.  In the
 meen time this should be out there for everyone.

 ====
 Thierry Dutoit wrote:

 > Kevin,
 >
 > (sorry, I sent a previous void email...)
 >
 > It took me some time to understand your request.
 > I first thought you wanted to include the sources of MBROLA into
Linux
 > distrributions.  I myself have thought of doing this several times,
 > but a company related to my universtiy sels mbrola, and has
commercial
 > rights on it.  So in a way I no longer have the right to do this.
 >
 > What I can do, however, because of the agreement between them and us,
 > is release MBROLA everywhere I can, provided it is not commercial.
 >
 > So it is my pleasure to let you release the software as you suggested
:
 > A blanket
 > amnesty for inclusion on any CD distribution that is also
 > available for free on major FTP mirror sites ? YES
 >
 > Or maybe; You can distribute this in anyway without special
 > permission if it is bundled with emacspeak ? YES
 >
 > NB : both 'yes' above are under the condition (imposed to me by
 > contract from the company I mentioned) that the software is reeased
 > with the accompanyig readme file containing the non-com usage
license.
 > Notice this is needed for people to know where to get voice and
language
 >  databases...
 > Another request from me : if MBROLA is being used in a
non-command-line