Re: Mandrake

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Darin Lang wrote:

> I installed the Mandrake intsallation as you suggested, Jean. It was easy

Ditto

> and it worked much better than Slackware. It had a graphical drive farmatter

Ditto

> instead of a prompt which made it much clearer what was going on. It easily
> configured my printer, my keyboard(Dvorak), X windows and it works excellent
> for the first time. It installed the dual boot LILO, mysql, apache, php,
> perl all right off the bat. I found it to be a smooth clear and simple

I had trouble getting printers working. Ended up doing it the old
fashioned way.

I like the way it lets you pick security levels. Higher levels are
inconvenient for home users, but useful for critical servers. Home users
can pick the "regular" level.

> interface, except that there were alot of unneccessary things included I am
> sure. But I whittled it down as best as I could to just what i needed. All

One of the nice things about the install is that you can tell it to only
install xx% of the packages and it selects a subset of that available
based on prioritisation.

>     It did not configure the network properly, I have two NIC cards and it
> hasn't been able to configure either one and I can no longer connect to the
> internet or intranet.

No problem with me, though I only configured machines with one network
card.

>     I still do not have sound either, and I can't figure out how to
> configure that either.

Might be hardware compatibility.

> to start with as a base. I wonder what it lacks though that Indy needs to
> remedy. You know more about that than I, I haven't a clue really, but it

IMO including Redhat's rogue gcc release in 8.0 was a HUGE mistake.

--
Donovan