Re: Mandrake

On Saturday  5 May 2001 01:46, you wrote:
> on 5/4/01 5:44 PM, Jean Francois Martinez at jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
> > Grub is far better than LILO, and last time I checked it was the default.
>
> Based solely on appearance, LILO is much prettier than Grub, other than
> that they function identically and I can't tell the difference.

That is because it is not using a background image (it can) and LILO is using
one.   But Grub can do everything, LILO can do and many it can't: it locates
kernels by filename so you don't have to run a command if you have a new
kernel, you can visualize the parms (in LILO you have to change them blind)
and that is very convenient if some parm is preventing you from booting, you
can change them in a user friendly manner, it supports foreign keyboards, and
it will prompt you if it cannot find either the kernel or its second pahase
instead of just printing LIL.

It is far more diificult to shhot yourself in the foot with GRUB than with
LILO.
			JFM