Re: Creative Labs+ Mpeg decoding

> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:19:16 +0100
> From: JF Martinez <jfm2@club-internet.fr>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>

> > > I have heard of Creative Labs releasing drivers for DVDs under Linux.
> > > Licensed under GPL.  Could someone investigate what we woumd have to
> > > do for adding them to Indy.  Personally I would kill (processes) for
> > > that kind of thing in Indy.
> > >

> > > Second: This afternoon I saw someone watching an Mpeg movie under
> > > Windows.  It was full screen and animation was fluid but when trying
> > > to view it under Linux using aktion on identical hardware I was only
> > > able to get a stamp sized image, under 1 frame per second and in
> > > addition parts of the image were not displayed in order to avoid
> > > unsyncing.  This was on a 400 Mhz Pentium II.  In other words "aktion'
> > > is very bad propaganda for Linux at least when viewing mpeg files.
> >
> > Xanim (and thus aktion) only displays MPEG by accident.
> > If you want a nice MPEG movie player, I'd suggest MPegTV, but it's
> > shareware.
> >

> I remember Caldera 1.3 had a far better viewer than xanim, I think it
> used Motif/Lesstif but I got about 20 fps on a Cyrix 166+ while I get
> 1 fps on a PII 400 using aktion.  Of course Caldera's viewer does not
> compare with Loki's.  About Loki's viewer I think it is able to read
> real Mpeg because I found an Mpeg file in Myth II and it was real Mpag
> as aktion was able to display it.

I pais a visit to Loki's site and it happens than the Mpeg player
displays real Mpeg, they also have a library that siplays SJMPEG a
format created by Loki who seems to need less resources.  This can
confuse people into thinking the viewer is not able to display real
Mpeg.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org