Re: truetype

Den man, 08 nov 1999 skrev du:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Birger Langkjer wrote:
>
> > I asked a long time ago how to use truetype fonts under X. I finally found the
> > answer: You have to use 'ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir' and then add the folder to
> > fontpath. Doh! It's so simple but I'm amazed it's so poorly documented! man xfs
> > gives absolutely no clue, I had to find this information on the web.
>
> The xfstt docs explain everything you need to know.

It's not xfstt, it's the xfsft server that comes with/is incorporated with
Redhat: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/programs/xfsft/
xfstt is rather difficult to set up, I think. I've had lots of problems with
it. You have to mess with /etc/rc.d/init.d, runlevels and what not. The
fontserver that comes with redhat works right out of the box. That's why I'm so
frustrated because I've waisted so much time on getting xfstt to work. Besides,
is xfstt even supported anymore? I know for a fact that xfsft is the
implementation that XFree86 has decided upon.

> > Btw. it's about time Linux distributions moved to ttf instead of bdf. Aren't
>
> Not sure i'm in 1005 agreement, though I agree that it would be nice if we
> could use true type fonts
>
> > there any good quality ttf-fonts that you can distribute for free?
>
> Nope.

A good idea for an opensource project then. Anyone want to join? :-)
(I'm actually serious about this, some guy I know already has plans for this.
If you're good with fontographer or fontlab and would like to help, drop me a
line.)

> Here's what I think the best solution is: make the install of xfstt try to
> detect true type fonts in the windows partition ( if one exists )

If the installationprogram could autodetect a windowspartition, put it in
fstab, mount it and link to /mnt/win/windows/fonts/ that would be cool. Newbies
like reporters and other lowtech individuals are always impressed by stuff that
works right out of the box, and you save a lot of time on support. If you're a
company that's actually money in the bank.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Birger Langkjer