Re: truetype

Since Kevin's address wasn't subbed to the list, it got rejected. Please
fix your From lines, Kevin...

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:39:02 -0500
From: Kevin Forge <forge@forge.kfs>
To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
Subject: Re: truetype

JF Martinez wrote:

> > I asked a long time ago how to use truetype fonts under X. I finally found the
> > answer: You have to use 'ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir' and then add the folder to
> > fontpath. Doh! It's so simple but I'm amazed it's so poorly documented! man xfs
> > gives absolutely no clue, I had to find this information on the web.
> >
> > Btw. it's about time Linux distributions moved to ttf instead of bdf. Aren't
> > there any good quality ttf-fonts that you can distribute for free?
> >

> You can find some at www.microsoft.com :-).  One of the things I would
> like is have Indy mount the Windows partition and pick the True Type
> fonts.  But don't hold your breath for the day I will have time for
> this.

Assuming we work like RedHat and have a default location for all these
mount points.

!/bin/sh
cp /mnt/dos/windows/fonts/*.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttfonts

In real life this wold only work for a few people.

making it actually search for where the fonts are really located
is a whole different matter.  I wind up doing it by hand.  My Corel
WordPerfect 8.0 for Windows CD has well over a thousand fonts laid
out in a directory tree ( 1 dir per initial letter ).  There is need
for a _real_ font manager that can go through a tree like that ( Corel
Draw has a bigger one ) and show the actual appearance of all the fonts
so you can pick and choose which ones to use.  It would then copy them
to the font dir and make them all immediately available.

There was a script that wold convert a Windows sound theme to the KDE
equivalent a while ago.  Anyone know what became of it ?