Re: Indy.txt - 2

I just fixed a spelling error or two and stuck in words where it made no
sense.
In a message dated 11/16/99 1:26:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, bud@seul.org
writes:

<< Jean

 Integrated your thoughts, succinctly, but enough to get them across. I hope
:)

 Bud

 -------------

 <HEAD>
 <LINK REL="stylesheet" HREF="/config/independence.css" TYPE="text/css">
 </HEAD>

 <TABLE CELLPADDING=20><TR><TD BGCOLOR="#CCCCCC" WIDTH=20% VALIGN="TOP">

 <STRONG>
 <A HREF="/index.shtml">Home</A>
 <A HREF="/distribution/">Distribution</A>
 <A HREF="/developers/index.shtml">Developers</A>
 <!-- <A HREF="/software/index.shtml">Software Repository</A>     --><NOBR><A
HREF="/thinklinux.shtml">Think Linux!</A></NOBR>
 <NOBR><A HREF="/subscribing/index.shtml">Mailing List</A></NOBR>
 <!-- <A HREF="/sitemap/index.shtml">Site Map</A> --><A
HREF="/bookmarks.shtml">Bookmarks</A>
 </STRONG> </TD><TD><TABLE WIDTH=100% CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=0 ><TR><TD>[Unable
to display image]</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why Independence?

We want Linux to become <STRONG>the</STRONG> dominant operating system.
Butthis will not happen if Linux continues to be a system for an elite. Many
Linux distributions seem to ignore us, the user. Linux has made significant
inroads towards being an operating system for the desktop and the personal
computer, but not enough. Indy Linux, with help from many, can be a
distribution thatmeets the needs of any Linux user for home or office.
Independence is <STRONG>not</STRONG> a commercial distribution but we dohope
that it will be one of the the better distributions for any user of Linux. In
that sense, perhaps some magazine or book publisher will add the CD we are
developing as an added feature.
UNIX and Linux are often confused as being one and the same, they are not,
even though they have many things in common. Indy is striving to be a
distribution which is built by volunteers who are willing to take some of the
best of what UNIX has to offer and think Linux.      UNIX was not intended

<li> for intermittent use, turning it off and on during the day.  <li> to be
used without an experienced system administrators.  </li>    Linux is free
and can do more:

<ul>  <ul>   With every distribution, Samba is included, which means your
computer:  <li> can be used as the main server, linked to many computers,
including ones that have Windows or NT as their operating system.  <li> can
be integrated in a Windows or NT server configuration.  <li> (Indy tries to
make it easier for interconnecting different operating   systems, even
printing from any computer.)   </ul> <li> you can be your own system
administrator to fix problems.  <li> many office suites are available
especially for Linux, and free. <li> Linux is not expensive.  <li> Linux can
be used as the home computer. <li> Linux can be used as a game computer.
</ul>    The Independence distribution is a small revolt

We feel that some but not all of the above are being considered in current
distributions. Indy wants to do it better, to be designed for users by users.
We built it because we feel Linux does not need to be UNIX. We think that
other distributions have blindly depended and followed the UNIX mold, which
has held down the growth of Linux. Some paths UNIX cannot go, Linuxcan.
 You can find more info about Indy in the<A HREF="/distribution/">
distribution page</A>.
Independence is volunteer work, we will progress faster
if<STRONG>you</STRONG> participate.  If you believe that Linux users
aredifferent and need <A HREF="/thinklinux.shtml">
<STRONG>Linux</STRONG>solutions.</A>
     Volunteer!

 If you want to be a user in the front lines, who want Linux to spread beyond
the UNIX mold <A HREF="/subscribing/">join us!</A><!--      Join us <A
HREF="/subscribing/index.shtml"> subscribe to our mailinglist.</A>
<HR><TABLE WIDTH=100%><TR><TD><STRONG> Project coordinator</STRONG>
 <A HREF="jfm2@club-internet.fr">mailto:jfm2@club-internet.fr">jfm2@club-inter
net.fr </A></TD><TD><STRONG>Web Weaver</STRONG>
 <A HREF="elflord@pegasus.rutgers.edumailto:elflord@pegasus.rutgers.edu">elflo