Re: IP Printer Setup

> JF Martinez wrote:
> > The lpr printer daemon is supposed to be able to print in other boxes
> > through TCP/IP so I don't think it should be difficult to have it to
> > do IP printing so my guess is that you should treat the printer as
> > just a printer server.  But the only printing I do is through Samba so
> > I am not an expert at this.
> >
> > However there has been a dicussion in Linux Journal on the merits of
> > the different solutions fgor printing and using a print server is a
> > far superior solution to IP printing.  Look in the LinuxJournal for
> > the article about printing at CISCO.  It was published this year.
> >
> > You could also consult the system administrator about what protocols
> > the printers are using.  My guess is SMB.
>
> I have found the answer, and it is not accomodated in our current
> installation.  The Lexmark is connected to the network via a Netport
> Express box, and operates via the Socket API, of which the de facto
> standard is the HP JetDirect API (printing direct via IP address and
> port 9100).  The LPRng How-To contains fairly complete information about
> this network printing protocol, and the author feels that this is the
> most common network printing approach.  I have not been able (yet :-) to
> set up my printcat to accomodate the Socket API, and it is not a part of
> printtool at all.  I am however, working around this by using netcat
> (command line: nc ip.address 9100 <my.file.name).  Since the printer is
> fairly smart, it can handle a direct stream of text or PS, and the
> formatting is very nice.  Can we get this into one of the next versions
> of Indy (I am hacking this as a newbie, and can't offer anymore
> background or assistance than this - however, if I figure out the
> printcat format, I'll let the list know)?

Around June HP released a Linux version of something called JetMin or
a bit like that.  Go to the HP site and retrieve it.  Perhaps it
awould allow you to solve your problem.  In addition a few days ago I
suggested someone trying to compare the merits of classic lpr versus
LPRng versus cups, could be an occasion.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org