Re: Status reports.

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Stefan Rieken wrote:

> I'd agree. To be honestly, I, as a newcomer, don't know anything about
> the current state of Indy.

We need to update the pages so that our differences are clearly outlined.
We used to have this. Unfortunately, it's not up to date because I am not
clear on what extra packages we have.

> Please do like all the other open source projects: make a status
> overview, and a planning! That way, you also get more developers: it's
> more clear for them what needs to be done I for one would love to help
> where I can but don't know where to start @ yours, and haven't got a
> clue of what's living within the project. The people want to see ALL of
> your visions!
>
> Being a part of the SEUL project,

WRONG !!! we are not part of the SEUL project

> you should also take over it's website
> look-and-feel. Seriously: the difference between the two sites bothers
> people.

I don't see why it should bother people any more than the difference
between our site and Debian's site bothers people.

> In other projects this could be ignored, but here... The website
> looks rather skinny, too, for such a project.

We need help with the website. Thus far, we have a lot of whiners, ,but an
absence of people who are willing and able to actually do anything.

> you should use Flash or whatever, but if you have links on the left that
> CHANGE all the time (quite disturbing), then make sublinks!

This should be easy enough to do ( I think ), but I am not clear about
what you mean.

Are you suggesting something like this:

http://independence.seul.org/developers/

HOME
DISTRIBUTION
DEVELOPERS
	Guidelines
	Packaging
	TODO list
THINK LINUX!
MAILING LIST
BOOKMARKS

It sounds like a good idea. I could do this.

> Maybe some of you say "I dare you to do better than this". I say: "I
> dare you to involve me".

We would be all too happy to involve you. Our main problem is that we
don't have enough people involved.

Now about what we need to do at the moment:

*	People who can package RPMs ( or people who know enough about
	compiling/shell scripting that they could learn )

*	People to help with the website

*	People to hunt down and test new software packages that we can add
	to the distribution

> One final comment on that: there's active and passive information
> providing. On the current website you are passive: any developer passing
> by needs to fill out a form

No, they don't. They can just subscribe to the mailing list.

> fits best. Active information providing - information that doesn't wait
> for a request when provided.

Making it too easy for developers to climb on board doesn't help. It just
attracts a lot of people who aren't really interested/serious. We have had
this kind of problem -- a lot of people expressing interest, but most of
them not willing to do very much.

--
Donovan