Re: I still can't help

>On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Lee Sharp wrote:

>>    That said, I will again offer to take over the web site.  Conditions:
No
>> SSI, SSH, PHP.

>SSH is a necessary security measure for the site. Rule 1 for the site is
>"no plain text passwords". That means "use ssh".

>There are ssh clients for NT. I am not sure how you use scp ( which you
>need for file transfers ) on windows though.

   Hence the problem... :-)  There are some alternatives, however.  How
about one of the many Perl scripts from a SS7 page?  Set up a perl based
upload for the primary web server...  Your own security, and easy on the
users.

>BTW, in defence of SSI, I'll say that it makes maintenance easier  since
>you can just maintain one file instead of maintaining the same block of
>text within several files. Not using SSI will not make maintenance easier
>( and could easily make it harder ). As for PHP, we're not using it just
>now.

   Yes and no...  Some servers and browsers handles SSI badly.  Changes to
the SSI file can have unpredictable effects on pages that are not checked...
Personal preference, but not a strong one. :-)

>Re browser portability, I've tested the site in IE which I run under
>VMWARE. It looks just the same ( as it should. The html is pretty
>"standard" ). As for servers, we don't need mirrors that
>badly, and most of the sites that will want to mirror us wil be running
>apache.

   I am running MSIE 4.0 SP2, and the SSI is broke when I view.  Has to do
with color in the left bar.  It just looks wrong.  Considering how many
people will be looking at us and downloading from the big pipe at work, MSIE
compatibility is important. :-)  I know this is rude, but small screenshot
enclosed...

            Lee

screenshot.jpg