Re: Replacement for SSI

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, David Webster wrote:

> I toyed with the idea of using SSI for the header and footer, but decided
> against it. Instead I wrote a bash script that automatically adds the
> header and footer to my page.

This is how I used to maintain the site and I got no end of complaints. It
makes things more difficult because you need to explain to all the
maintainers how your script(s) work. At the end of the day, the main
maintainer will be the only one who understands how the site works ( which
is potentially a very bad thing )

BTW, the SSI also pulls a title from the main page and sticks it into the
header. You can do this with your script ( of course ). But it's another
obscure hack that your users need to learn about.

It's better that you stick to fairly "standard" methods, because that way,
you don't need your users to understand your obscure hacks.

Right now, we're using SSI, it works, and I don't see a good reason to
remove it.

--
Donovan