Re: Analysis of RH 6.1

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, JF Martinez wrote:

> It has a graphical installation but if you don't happen to be using a
> PS/2 mouse you are dropped without asking in console install and this
> one has several shortcomings one of them being that it asks you for
> the keyboard but does nothing or that there is zero description of the
> packages installed (this is not true in graphics mode).

Wow! That's not so good.

> When upgrading it has a bug who will prevent from doing so if an NTFS
> partition is present.  Solution is to cahnge partition identifier to
> Win95 and restore it when you have finished.

Red Hat's Eric Troan has been posting bug fixes for some of these
problems on the RH mailing list for the past two days.

> It has a nice PPP configurator based on wvdialconf but it does not
> configure DNS.

I have been meaning to look at the pppd source but have not done it
yet. I guess I will need to have a look. I've been busy with family
projects as of late.

> It also has some nice usability features like CDs who mount and run
> aprogram when you insert them or detection of hardware changes.
>
> Ciurse of action should be to fix those bugs, try to provide something
> for DNS autodetection and do oit as fast as ppossible.  A problem
> given the size of the team.

I'm wondering Jean. With all the current problems in the new nstall. Do
you think we ought to just use the old 6.0 installer but upgrade to
the new 6.1 features and wait for all the fixes to be completed and/or
use the Lizard installer later?

As you stated, given the size of the team, I don't know if we can fix
all the problem's in a reasonable amount of time. The install was one
of our issues to begin with. If the new installer is full of bugs, I
say we don't use it.

--

R.G. Mayhue
rgmayhue@serenesoftware.com