Re: Quiet modems, continued

For several different modems I have used I just do the following
I use the default initilization string  in my case "AT&FW2" and just add commands
to the number I'm dialing
e.g. if I wanted to dial 1800 555 555 I would use
"atm0dt1,800,555555"
at puts the modem into command mode
m0 = set the modem speaker to off
d = dial number
t = tone dialing
, = pause for 1 sec

I can use m1 , m2  or m3 for setting different speaker functions
m1 = Speaker enabled untill Remote carrier detected
m2 = Speaker is always enabled
m3 = Speaker is only enabled during handshaking

the L0 command only sets the speaker to low volume
and you should also have the L1 , L2 , L3 options
for medium low , medium and high volume respectively

these seem to be pretty standard AT commands so they may work on your USR Modem

mRgOBLIN

JF Martinez wrote:

> > I've checked my config at home and in my chat script in the pppd config file
> > I have the command "AT&fM0L0" which, I think, resets to factory default (&f)
> > then turns speaker volume to 0 (M0 and L0, can't remember the difference, I
> > used both).
> >

> I think it is the same on my USR modem.  What model is yours?  We need
> to know if M0 is the correct setting for non-USR modems.
>
> --
>                         Jean Francois Martinez
>
> Project Independence: Linux for the Masses
> http://www.independence.seul.org

Can you say "Slackware Linux" without smiling ?