FAQ - revised

<HEADER>
<Title> FAQ </Title>
</HEADER>

<BODY>

<ol>
<li> <H3> Why is Independence free? </H3>

It allows us to add to the distribution what we think will be useful for
the users instead of what would make bigger sales.

<li> <H3>Why are you named Independence?</H3>

It was supposed to be a provisional name but we did not think of a new one
before the release.  However, the name does carry the spirit of the distribution.

<li><H3>Why are you based on Red Hat?</h3>

Because we needed a GPLed distribution as a base.  In addition, if we
wanted to make a <em>useful</em> distribution, we needed to keep in mind the
people who we are targeting.  We needed to
choose a distribution that one can find books about in every store.

<li> <H3>Why Independence is not based on Debian.</H3>

Because when we started, it looked like using Debian as a starting
point would be lots of work.  Debian is not that easy to find
in stores and that means people would have to download hundreds of
megs of a Debian based distribution instead of a couple dozen in
order to switch from Red Hat to Indy, and by using a Red Hat CD which they could find at
their nearest retailer.  While Debian focused their efforts on systems administration and
hackers, our focus was on users, to develop a desktop systems for private
individuals.
</ol>
</BODY>