Re: FAQ - revised

"Pete St. Onge" wrote:

> Just following up on Bud's suggestions. I added a bit of formatting, and
> also went at the text a bit. I fear I may have gone too far, but I hope
> it helps.
>
> Pete
>
> <HTML>
> <HEADER>
>   <Title>INDY: FAQ</Title>
> </HEADER>
> <BODY>
>
> <center>
>   <h2>The Independence Linux Distribtion FAQ</h2>
> </center>
> <hr>
>
> <ol>
>   <li><H3> Why is Independence free? </H3>
>     It allows us to add to the distribution what we think will be
>     particularly useful for the users, rather than what would make
>     bigger sales.
>   <li><H3>Why are you named Independence?</H3>
>     It was supposed to be a working title, but the name stuck. After
>     all, it does nicely express the spirit of the distribution.
>   <li><H3>Why are you based on Red Hat?</h3>
>     The most available Linux distribution would be one based on the
>     freedom to add and make modifications to it as we saw fit. Since
>     we want to make sure that Indy is a <em>useful</em> distribution,
>     we have to choose a base distribution for which books and other
>     support information are easily found. For the time being, RedHat
>     support and documentation are found far easier and in far greater
>     quantity than that for Debian.
>   <li><H3>Why is Independence NOT based on Debian?</H3>
>     When we started, it looked like using Debian as a starting
>     point would be lots of work for both users and developers.
>     Currently, Debian is not that easy to find in stores, meaning
>     that users would be forced to download <br>hundreds</b> of megs
>     of a Debian-based distribution instead of getting an inexpensive
>     Red Hat CD at the nearest retailer (and perhaps downloading a
>     dozen megs or so afterwards).
>     Another concern we have with Debian is that it seems to us to be
>     aimed towards hardcore UNIX users, where our efforts for Indy as
>     well as the RedHat base are aimed more towards the end users -
>     the RedHat installation tends to be easier than that of Debian.
>     But in most cases, including RedHat, many assumptions are made
>     asbout the users, ignoring the realities faced by most end users.

      ^about^

I think it fits what I understand from the project.  I would delete the
remark beginning with "ignoring" and substitute "which may not fit the
realities of many users."

"Ignoring" is descriptive of the effect, but is often associated with
aggressive or pejorative language, in other words, a glancing obloquy or
criticism.

> </ol>
> <hr>
> </BODY>