Re: FAQ - revised ... again :)

Heck, while I'm at it, why don't I add the links to rh and deb :)

This file is getting a lot of mileage ... It should really go online -
I'm working towards a pretty important deadline this week, so I can't
volunteer. Anyone else?

Cheers,

Pete

<HTML>
<HEADER>
  <Title>INDY: FAQ</Title>
</HEADER>
<BODY>

<center>
  <h2>The Independence Linux Distribtion FAQ</h2>
</center>
<hr>

<ol>
  <li><H3> Why is Independence free? </H3>
    It allows us to add to the distribution what we think will be
    particularly useful for the users, rather than what would make
    bigger sales.
  <li><H3>Why are you named Independence?</H3>
    It was supposed to be a working title, but the name stuck. After
    all, it does nicely express the spirit of the distribution.
  <li><H3>Why are you based on <a href="http://www.redhat.com/">Red
    Hat?</a></h3>
    The most available Linux distribution would be one based on the
    freedom to add and make modifications to it as we saw fit. Since
    we want to make sure that Indy is a <em>useful</em> distribution,
    we have to choose a base distribution for which books and other
    support information are easily found. For the time being, RedHat
    support and documentation are found far easier and in far greater
    quantity than that for Debian.
  <li><H3>Why is Independence NOT based on <a
    href="http://www.debian.org/">Debian</a>?</H3>
    When we started, it looked like using Debian as a starting
    point would be lots of work for both users and developers.
    Currently, Debian is not that easy to find in stores, meaning
    that users would be forced to download <b>hundreds</b> of megs
    of a Debian-based distribution instead of getting an inexpensive
    Red Hat CD at the nearest retailer (and perhaps downloading a
    dozen megs or so afterwards).
    Another concern we have with Debian is that it seems to us to be
    aimed towards hardcore UNIX users, where our efforts for Indy as
    well as the RedHat base are aimed more towards the end users -
    the RedHat installation tends to be easier than that of Debian.
    But in most cases, including RedHat, many assumptions are made
    about the users, which may not be appropriate for the needs of
    most end users.
</ol>
<hr>
</BODY>
</HTML>

-- Pete
<who now goes back to lurk mode so that he can maybe someday actually
finish his thesis and join the real world ... and do more cool seul and
indy stuff. and maybe even get some sleep. :) >

--
Pete St. Onge
pete@seul.org