Re: Note to maintainers of RPMs

> On 6 Sep 1998 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
> > In order to make maintenance easier I propose we place in each
> > directory a file containining the base filenames (no version names) of
> > the files in the directories.  Then have a script who using the table
> > in this file will find the RPMS and symlink them into the directory.
>
> I have had to deal with this issue when writing my /software program, and
> there is a problem: what if we have two different versions of the same
> package ? (say libjpeg, or gtk for example) it would be ambiguous where to
> link to. At the least, we would need basename + version.

In theory we should not: when there are two incompatible versions of a
software or library then the RPM is supposed to get a different base
name to avoid RPM replacing the old version needed for compatibility.

That was the way used for the libjpeg6b problem.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org