C++ / g++ question

This is a little OT but I have a question for any C++ people who might be
listening:

I have a program that uses two classes : a matrix class and a vector
class (ie that I wrote). I use templates to implement this so that my
vectors/matrices can be use several data types ( eg int, float, double )
as their fields.

I have it split up like this:

vector.h
matrix.h
vector.cpp
matrix.cpp
main.cpp

g++ -o matrix vector.cpp matrix.cpp main.cpp

bombs with error messages from ld (no errors from the compiler). However,
if I put

#include "vector.cpp"
#include "matrix.cpp

in the top of main.cpp, then

g++ -o matrix main.cpp

works as advertised

AFAIK, #including .cpp files is not "standard practice". Or is it ? Am I
missing something ?

CHeers,
--
Donovan